One of the most stunning villages in the “Triangle d’or” of the Provence is Saignon.
Saignon has the most distinctive outline of any Luberon village, with its rock squared off by nature as if to look from afar like an impregnable castle. It acts as a signpost high above the town of Apt, hence perhaps the name Saignon, which comes from signum, Latin for ‘sign’.
Saignon was like a look-out for danger riding along the valley towards Apt, and the church bells were the alarm. Because of this important role this was a privileged village and no fewer than three castles sprung up within its confines, built by three different lords, which when you look at the size of Saignon is truly remarkable. The wealth of the village 800 years ago can be seen in the architecture that still stands, and it is a lovely village to stroll around, with its winding narrow streets and fountains.
Particularly pleasing are the square where three roads meet, with its fountain and the Domaine de la Presbytere, a fine hotel and restaurant. You can climb the imposing rock of the village to get a spectacular view and photos towards the north, with the white-topped Mont Ventoux as your anchor point, as well as the Montagne de Lure, a glimpse of the Alps and even Avignon on a clear day.
The 12th century Romanesque church of Saignon is of impressive dimensions, as wide as it is long, and notable for the imposing front facade with its 12 bays (perhaps signifying 12 apostles) above the front door. The facade was added in the 14th century and the richly decorated door dates from 1725. Most unusually, and for reasons unknown, the church was built just outside the village walls.
La bergerie de Saignon
Prices from: 1800€ – 4200€/week.
Special rates for longer periods.
Sleeps: 4 – 10 Guests.
5 bedrooms – 3 bathrooms
Situated in the Vaucluse, in the heart of the Provence, with a stunning view on the Luberon national parc and large lavender fields, la bergerie de Saignon is situated in the Triangle d’Or, at 4 km of Apt centre and close to the nicest Provence villages such as Saignon, Caseneuve, Rousillon, Menerbes, Gordes, Banneux, Goult, etc. It is located right at the north side of Saignon, close to Rustrel, and fully south oriented and thus protected from the Mistral wind with all facilities you need at only 4 km. It is the perfect place to stay and to enjoy the Provence.
The bergerie was built in the Eighteen hundreds (old part) and has one of the most beautiful Provence styles and provides an overlook of the Luberon and the Rock of Saignon while being completely away from prying eyes. The indoor spaces are very bright, spacious and highlight. Living room is 7m x 10m with a cathedral ceiling and provides all luxury wanted.
Villa Surface: 170 m2. Swimming pool and garden. View on the Luberon hills and lavender fields. House, garden and pool are south oriented, so sunshine all day.
The house is newly renovated and furnitured. All rooms are at the ground floor. All 5 bedrooms have new luxury boxspring beds for a good rest at night. Since Saignon is situated about 400m above sea-level, temperatures (usually between 26 and 32°C during daytime) go down at night to 16°-18° at night. This makes airconditioning absolutely unnecessary.
Hallway; Fully equipped kitchen (dishwasher; fridge, wine cooler,…); access to a terrace; Spacious living and dining room; Terrace (3x 10m); 2 modern indoor bathrooms (1 recently renewed with walk-in shower); 1 outdoor bathroom; Cozy corner with table football game;
1 Double bedroom; double bed with luxury topper (180×200) “la bergerie”
1 Twin bedroom; two single beds (90×200) convertible to a double bed (180×200)
1 Double bedroom; double bed (160×200) “green room”
1 Double bedroom; double bed with luxury topper (180×200) “purple room”
1 Mansarde room- Twin bedroom; two single beds (90×200) convertible to a double bed (180×200)
Fully equipped outdoor kitchen with bbq and fridge; Outdoor lounge TRIBU; Poolhouse; Swimming pool (5x10m) with electric rolling shutter and salt electrolyte system; Garden ;Back terrace (3x 5m) with table and chairs TRIBU
- sheets included
- towels and pool towels not included
- mid-week (eventually) and end cleaning (obligatory) not included (75€ per cleaning)
- pets allowed on request
- laundry facilities (washer & dryer) available
- heating available (fuel and wood (pallet stove))
- 50% down payment required on booking; the balance to be paid eight weeks before the start of the rental period
- airconditioning available in some rooms (for heating in winter; not needed in summer since it cools down at night to 18°)
- caution of 1500€ to be paid on top of the rental price; this amount is returned to you within 10 weeks after your stay if no damage is found.
- cancellation policy: 50% refund till 8 months before start rental date; 20% refund till 6 months before start rental date; no refund after that.
- For July /August : only for rent in blocks of 2 weeks (week1+2; week 3+4; from Saturday till Saturday
Facilities for enjoyment
- Ping-pong table (table tennis)
- Table football game
- Horse riding (manege) at 500m
- Hifi with bleutooth function
- Wi-Fi (internet)
- Beamer for PC or iPad on a large screen 2x2m (terrace)
- Pool 5 x 10m (with salt electrolyse)
- TV and DVD player
- Bedrooms 1&2 : wheelchair accessible
Horse riding/stables /Manège at 500m.
Cycling: Mont Ventoux at 80km; Lagarde d’Apt at 5 km (climb of 15km), Sault at 30 km, les monts de Vaucluse, montagne de la Lure, Grand Luberon en Petit Luberon on a short distance. Gorges de la Nesque et gorges d’Opedette on a short distance.
- Airport: Marseille, 60 minutes by car
- Town: 4 km / 5 minutes by car
- Beach: 60 minutes by car
- TGV train station Avignon: 45 minutes
- Express bus Avignon TGV station to Apt: 45 minutes
- Shops and city centre of Apt: 4 km – 5 minutes by car